Sunday, October 24, 2010

(not) the next great American novelist?





After mourning David Foster Wallace's death, literary critics began to try to identify the next great contemporary American novelist. I have not yet read a Jonathan Franzen novel, but the hype surrounding this author is absurd. Last month he was called the writer of our generation by The New Yorker yet denounced in Atlantic Monthly. From what I have read of Franzen, the chance of him being the one to fill dfw's shoes is near impossible, but most likely I'll be spending my Thanksgiving break in Austin with my nose in Freedom just to have a real opinion on it and to say that I did.

The main point of all this was to point out a recent review of the novel, but more importantly to share a very cool literary blog: http://biblioklept.org

No comments: